খ্রীষ্টধর্ম খ্রীষ্টধর্ম and Twilight

Moneik posted on Oct 15, 2008 at 09:09PM
okay i couldnt possibly be more obsessed with anything else than twilight
im not even going to explain coz i cant even find the words to describe it

anyway, question:
is it wrong to be so obsessed with something (in my case, twilight)
and still be a christian kinda thing?

খ্রীষ্টধর্ম 26 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে Dearheart said…
That, I think, is a question only YOU can answer. :) Part of being a Christian is using the Bible's wisdom and the Holy Spirit's discernment to figure out your own convictions in situations like this.

However, there are some things you can "test" yourself on to help you figure it out. Ask yourself some of these simple questions (and be honest with yourself!):

Test 1: You and God - What's the Holy Spirit telling me about this? Is it becoming an idol for me or getting in the way of my relationship with God? Am I getting so obsessed with this that it's taking His place in my heart? Am I still putting HIM first?

Test 2: You and the People Around You - How is this affecting my family? Do my parents approve of it? Is it causing my fellow Christians to stumble or get confused in their faith? What message am I sending to my non-Christian friends? What example am I setting for everyone by being a part of this?

Test 3: You and the Bible - What does the Word have to say about this? Does it fit into the Philippians 4:8 glove? Is there anything in it that the Bible objects to or warns against? Does it glorify God and uphold things that please Him? Or does it glorify Satan's ways and uphold things of the world?

Test 4: You and (fill-in-the-blank...in this case, Twilight) - How is this affecting my heart, mind and attitude? What is it telling me? Does it encourage me to do what's right in God's eyes, or does it make me want to conform to the world's ways? Is it distracting me from what's truly important? Or is it causing me to say, think and do things that are wrong?

Remember to be firm and totally honest with yourself when answering these questions. Don't try to find loopholes, excuses or gray areas. Think "SAG": Stay Away from Gray.

Gray is Satan's favorite color. He doesn't like absolutes. He loves lukewarm temperatures, compromises and wiggle-room. It's one of the many weapons he uses to lull Christians into a false sense of security about not-so-good things and get them to think "You know, it's not THAT bad...and the Bible doesn't really say anything specific about it, so it must be okay". Even if the Bible doesn't say anything specific about it, chances are that if it wasn't such a morally-great thing in the first place, you should avoid it.

That's my advice, anyway. Hope it helped, lol. :)
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
Just as an afterthought, I know exactly what you mean by "obsessed". I used to be that way about Lord of the Rings; I literally got addicted to it. For a while, it mattered more to me than anything else. It was scary.

Satan knew he couldn't get me with anything big, like drugs, sex before marriage, etc. So he snuck in a quieter way, in little things that I wouldn't notice - by taking something I loved and blowing it up so huge in my mind and heart that it took God's place and became an idol. And I didn't even see it.

Eventually I realized how stupid I was being, but still...it's one thing thing to be crazy about something. It's another thing to let it get in the way of what's truly important. If you're really as obsessed about Twilight as you say you are, you need to be CAREFUL. Satan could be using the same strategy on you that he used on me. He's one sneaky devil, that's for sure.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে mrsblack_1089 said…
I don't think so, but it CAN be dangerous. I'm finding that I'm thinking of Jacob Black during the sermon instead of paying attention. =) And I'm more obsessed with Twilight than anything else. Like Dearheart said, it's scary! It really is scaring me because I'm a dedicated fan of Twilight Series and NOT Christianity. But I'm making more time for the Christianity spot.

The thing I like about Twilight is that it IS sort of Christian, aside from some of the language. I mean, Bella and Edward wait until they get married to have sex. That's a very postive message to send out to all Twilighters!

বছরখানেক আগে Moneik said…
hm, okay thanks for the input :)
বছরখানেক আগে Dragondaisy said…
I am not a twilight fan, though i know some things about it (because of all my female classmates) they kept on blabbering about it that almost every class period, some girl asks me if i saw twilight. im like, the ONLY girl whos not obsessed with twilight in my class. (its my type)
বছরখানেক আগে Sweetpea7s said…
I agree with ms. black...there are some christian elemenets. Such as waiting till nmarriage, she uses the vers eand genious and the apple to represent the temptation in twilight. For a vampire book it has some good morals in it...oh yeah and Bella doesn't abort her baby!
For anyone who's interested, I found this article about Twilight. Very intriguing. Might help to clear up some confusion, too.

link
বছরখানেক আগে lcriss said…
Vampires, just like witches are a lifestyle against the Lord. Satan is working more and more to twist the truth and make these things seem harmless. As christians we need to take more caution in these darker days. Just keep your heart open to God and let Him guide you to know what is right...
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে 123dk45 said…
i'm haveing a similar problem myself, i am have almost finished Twilight..my mom isn't real excited about me reading them but i really like them...when i read twilight i feel bad about reading them because i don't know if god approves, but then again what if he doesn't and i miss something he might want me to see in the books...somebody please help me!!!!
বছরখানেক আগে strcatchrdancer said…
I completely agree with 123dk45. I'm really into the Twilight books as well and I'm wondering what God thinks of it. My parents aren't really happy about me reading them, either. I don't take the books too seriously, but I'm a huge fan. I'm a follower of Christ but I think I'm getting my signals crossed. What do I do?
ok this is wat i have decided to do...but i would still like some input
i've decided to finish the books but i'm not gonna get obsessed or caught up in them.....wat have u decided strcatchrdancer? keep me posted!
Hi! I've totally decided that as long as we don't idolize them, I think we'll be fine. I view the books and the movie as a form of entertainment: that's all! Don't get me wrong, I love the whole Twilight Mania thing but I can't turn my back on my first love: Jesus Christ....
smile
thats exactly how i feel!
i think u can make anything an idol by putin it above god...i would love to comtinue chattin team jacob so if u wanna keep postin then please do otherwise u can add me to your friends list...only if u want of course.
hmmm
hey 123dk45! I'm still new. Idk how to add you to my friends list. If u know how...let me know!
বছরখানেক আগে mimifaith said…
tongue
I feel a sin coming on... oh yeh,

Twilight sucks and Jacob Black's ugly (yes, i have read the books and seen the films)

Oh, there we go, sin over... i've gotta go pray.
বছরখানেক আগে huddygirl2 said…
dang minifaith-.- it is not a sin just cuz someone likes something that you don't-.-
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে Summer_Leanne said…
hmmm
I know how you feel, sweetheart. I'm a diehard Twi-heart. NO JOKE. This is the most passionate obsession (over the book..I hate the movies) I've ever had, and frankly, it's not stopping too soon.I wonder if God's okay with the whole vampire and werewolf thing. But, technically, the books are based off of good defeating bad. They even uphold morals in it, such as no sex before marriage. I love the caring and nurting spirit Mrs. Meyer added in the text. The sacrifices Carlisle, Edward, Jake, Bella, etc. made for one another reminded me of the sacrifices Christians are called to make. I'm still skeptical as to whether it's a wise obsession or not, but personally, I see no problem with it. It's not as if it's upholding witchcraft...but it is upholding demon-like creatures (which is the reason why I still remain skeptical).
বছরখানেক আগে katana64 said…
monkey
i get obsessions too (swords being my current one) but just remember the importance of god
বছরখানেক আগে huddygirl2 said…
Katana64 please cap G.
বছরখানেক আগে katara529 said…
I don't think it's wrong to be a fan of something, just don't let it
get in the way of more important things.
বছরখানেক আগে -Summerstorm- said…
Well to me being obbsessed with something is considered making an Idol out of it, or putting it in front of God. Now almost everyone has a time when they put something in front of God. Take me for example; when James Cameron's Avatar come out I loved it so much I went to it 5 times in the theater. I thought about it constantly. I was so obbsessed I learned even how speak a little Na'vi (spellings all wrong though): Allvay oot adio huyayya. Nowmu sockni seeve e. sun see von. Allit in e uh see sleneth zoo. Well anyways after a while I realized I had made an Idol out of Avatar and had putan it in front off God. so I kinda cut off my Avatar obbsestion, and gave more time to the lord. I still Love Avatar but have put God first. Hope this helps a bit. :)
বছরখানেক আগে SarahCorine said…
I have to get off soon, but I want to say more later. Anyways, I'll just say this now. Someone who is a Christian and team Edward said that they liked Edward better than Jacob because Edward was a good example of what a Christian boyfriend should be. He was caring, sweet, and always put Bella's needs before his own, while Jacob was all about pleasing himself as far as Bella was concerned. I never thought about it that way, but I thought that it was cool that this Christian used Twilight as a way to glorify God kinda.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে bratski2192 said…
No I personally don't see anything wrong with liking/loving Twilight, just as long as u see it as it is: a form of entertainment. If it becomes an integral part of life (caring about the books, show, etc. more than God), then that's where u gotta be careful, & draw the line. I love the Twilight Saga myself, tho I do have certain iffy's about it(like Bella putting her love for a vampire ahead of those of her family-as if their love isn't enough, even if Edward wants that for her too-& Edward willing to let Bella sleep with Jacob just so she can have the experience of having a *normal* baby-which ticks me off cuz that's his wife he's talking about-in Breaking Dawn. Whereas on Vampire Diaries, Elena is willing to sacrifice herself, her relationship with a vampire, etc. to protect her family & friends.)

Anyone talking about *vampirism* don't get that this isn't real life, or promoting it for real life or to follow that type of thing. It's FICTION, & ENTERTAINMENT. It isn't dissing The Lord, nor is it witchcrafty. Stuff like Harry Potter I don't see as bad either, cuz again: it's NOT REAL. Anyone applying stuff from books, & movies to their lives shouldn't watch that if that's their intent, or if they know or can be easily lured away from God. JMO.
বছরখানেক আগে SweetPea2007 said…
I do not like Twilight, but because of religious reasons.I understand it is just entertainment, I personally prefer fantasy books,shows, and movies. My problem with Twilight is the fact that it try's to make being a stalker and a pedophile romantic. Edward sneaking into Bella's window and watching her sleep and Jacob imprinting himself (thus becoming her soulmate) on Bella's newborn baby seems wrong to me. If you take it just for it is ...pure fiction and entertainment, okay, but it becomes a problem when young girls think it is okay and romantic for guys to stalk them and grown men to fall in love with baby's and or children.Sorry that is it for my rant today. By the way I also love Buffy,Harry Potter, and charmed and do not feel it effects my Christianity.
বছরখানেক আগে livetobefree said…
1st of all I think Twilight is really stupid (no offense) and no i dont think it's wrong
বছরখানেক আগে Perfidia said…
WELL....first of all you HAVE to notice that the author of the "Twilight"-series is a Mormon...a christian fanatic.

And you'll find proofs of that if you examine her books closely.
I mean....they don't have sex before marriage!
The "good" vampires don't kill and don't touch blood!
No one is ever getting drunk of smoking a cig!

This book is quite conservative I'd say!