Critical Analysis of Twilight The Edward/Bella Relationship - Gross?

aanniiee_ posted on Oct 16, 2009 at 08:05PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and now I want to get everyone's opinions on this, so I want to open it up for discussion

Despite the fact that Edward looks young and beautiful and 17, he is, in reality, a 100 year old man in love with an 18 year old girl. Is simply the fact that he APPEARS 17 make it okay?

Everything else about Edward is mature. His attitude, mannerisms, and thoughts come from an obviously more mature mind than that of a 17 year old, but his appearance only makes this all the more appealing. Women have always tended to fall for older men, probably because of the higher maturity level than those of men their age. But when Hugh Hefner has 18 year old girls as his "playmates," it seems so wrong. Even when an 18 year old girl is dating a 25 year old man, eyebrows are raised.

So howww is this different from Edward and Bella? Apparently, a 17 year old face with a 100 year old mind is great. But what if Edward Cullen had that same 100 year old mind and the appearance (that he ought to have) to go with it? There would be red flags everywhere, and the relationship would most likely be called disgusting.

I apologize for the somewhat incoherent post - I hope I'm making sense! I guess I'm not really taking a side here. I can't really bring myself to find Edward and Bella's relationship gross - I guess I'm distracted by the appearance, which tends to make everything seem ok.

Idk, anyone else ever think of this, or have any thoughts?

Critical Analysis of Twilight 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে Myf_1992 said…
smile
Hmm, I see your point. I don't think its disgusting. I can see how its wrong, but I dunno, he's a vampire, it makes things awkward. If I was to disapprove of this then I would have to disapprove of a lot of relationships in The Vampire Chronicles (which I'm a huge fan of). And I just can't.

If Edward is so mature(which I don't think he mentally is because he's very controlling etc, which are all immature personality traits) why is he attracted to such an immature girl. Hence another reason why I think he's mentally immature.

There are however, major flaws in their relationship, which annoys me and turns me off to the relationship, which I cant be bothered to go into at the moment. You can probably find those arguments around the place. I'm sure someone else will go into them.

p.s. your argument was coherent.