Damon & Bonnie Julie Plec

BonnieStan posted on May 21, 2012 at 08:54AM
Why is Julie Plec labeled a racist? If you agree that she is do you think it's intentional or not?

Damon & Bonnie 37 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে katesbon said…
I don't know the lady so i can't realy say ,but i can understand why some people think she is cos of the way she treats bonnie and other black characters on the show.imo its not nice to say this things to peopel but hey i am white and alot of delena fans think i am black just cos i like bon !
বছরখানেক আগে BonnieStan said…
I'm black so apparently that's why I'm suppose like Bonnie. That and the way some people says she treats Micheal Trevino who is Mexican and now why doesn't he get a chance to go to the ball and now all his character is now a sex toy for Caroline and whipping post of Klaus.
বছরখানেক আগে aceg said…
Well I honestly don't know the lady and her remarks could be tied to racism. Maybe the lack of Bonnie onscreen give some bonnie fans the negative impression... overall I am not sure if she could be put into racism category.
@aceg I am on the fence too, but I can see why some people think that.
বছরখানেক আগে tvlover92 said…
Hi guys I'm new! Anyways I really do not believe that Julie Plec is racist at all. I think all these mentioned things are just coincidental. For one, she casted Nina Dobrev who is a dark Bulgarian woman as Elena. If there was any moment to cast a blond haired blue eyes person it was in casting Elene but she didn't. For two, I think Bonnie is white in the books? Well they had no problem casting the beautiful Katerine instead. And Michael Trevino is mexican but his character is basically white in the series. I am mexican and I have not felt offended in any way with castings. Also, Trevino had a huge storyline last season and was important this season as well. Lets not forget these are supporting characters, I am sure their time will come again, and I especially sense a lot of Bonnie in the upcoming season :)
I know, but basically Nina is still considered white in the US. Yes she was white, but CW seems to have a quota of placing one black person in the main cast for their shows. Yes he is a supporting character and its been three years and we know more about everyone else combined except Bonnie Bennett.
বছরখানেক আগে NakedBarbie said…
cake
Do I think Julie is racist? I can't be sure cause I don't have access to her mind, heart & soul but I hope she's not. If I had to guess, I'd say she's not a racist but you never know for sure. People tend to blame Julie for Bonnie's lack of significant storytelling but we have to remember that she's not the ONLY creator of TVD. Kevin Williamson, along with a room full of other writers, producers, casting directors & the main people in charge of the CW network have a say. It's not just a Julie Plec thing.
I agree that the CW has an obvious pattern of casting one black character per show ( Dixon on 90210 for example who might've recently been killed off) & now Bon on TVD.
They totally gave Bonnie the backseat for 3 seasons but lately, they've been hyping her up & will supposedly put her more in the spotlight....Why? Not because they WANTED to but because all the amazing Bonnie fans kept INSISTING she get more play. It must've gotten their attention ( thanks Bonnie fans! lol) cause they're starting to take Bon more seriously. Season 4 shall be hers! I feel it.
From season 4 & beyond, I really believe Bonnie will be HUGE. She's gonna be a very popular & powerful character. The beautiful thing is that she started off as the underdog. Unappreciated on the show & possibly in real life but she's gonna be a big deal ( watch!) & Bonnie/Kat Graham is gonna finally get the recognition she deserves.
smirk
Oh and don't forget Melissa on The Secret Circle or Rayna on Gossip Girl. I know but, she is the show runner so she has the last official say and write off on the scripts..soo I can see why people point the finger at her. I have hope too and if I don't feel she is getting enough attention. I think I might be done. I also asked this question on Tumblr. Some people said yes, no, maybe etc. The latest one said that she's just not an interesting character and Book Bonnie was better. I wanted to come through the computer and stab her. Bonnie is the best!
বছরখানেক আগে ducky8abug4u said…
smile
If Julie Plec is considered a racist in certain quarters, then L.J. Smith should (by all rights) be considered one as well.

Both Bonnie and Meredith are treated as secondary characters. I assumed they were chosen to play minor roles because of their ethnicity; but for that to be true, I'd have to create a plausible reason why Matt Donovan had been routinely ignored for 3 consecutive seasons. He's blond, blue-eyed, intelligent and attractive. With those features, you'd think Julie Plec would be clamoring to showcase a looker like Matt, but that doesn't seem the case.

So, I've come up with another theory and it's one I think we can all agree on. I think the writers and the producers write for their favorites. I think they don't know what to do with the rest of the cast, and instead retreat to the tried-and-true method, which is to recycle storylines rather than explore other possibilities. Having Elena placed in danger (yet again) so that either brother can indirectly vie for her affections is one story they seem stuck on. Another is pawning Caroline off as the second-teir heroin of the show, whereby the perky blond gets a taste of every available male on the show. The others are used as plot points, when a particular story needs a convenient solution. They're just stuck in a rut and have been so for quite some time.

Anyway, I do understand viewers/posters inquiries about Julie Plec's creative decisions and it's understandable that they could be interpreted as 'racist' but I see it as her and her creative staff unable to come up with stories that could incorporate, for example, a viable friendship between Bon-Bon, Tyler and Matt.
angry
“We’ve given Matt Donovan his due, and given Bonnie her time in the sun”-Julie Plec

@ducky I can believe you theory thinking with a clear head, but Julie Plec has said this and in her mind she has given Matt his storyline even thought you and I don't see it. She also has given Bonnie her time in the sun..whatever that means.
বছরখানেক আগে aceg said…
smile
lol I suddenly got a interesting idea in my mind. Between JP and Guza/Frons, which writer is worse?
I am not familiar with Guza/Frons, whose that?
বছরখানেক আগে aceg said…
@BonnieStan: ABC daytime soap writers.
বছরখানেক আগে X-NightSlash-X said…
Honestly, who knows what this woman thinks. A racist or not I still don't like her. I'm not a fan of her writing and I think a teen could write a better plot than her. I hate the way she treats Bonnie character and ignore us Bamon fans thinking if she did then somehow we would go away and stop our complaining. As if! Her writing and her obsession for the love triangle/the originals is the reason why this show is loosing it's ratings. Hopefully (crosses fingers) KW will return to the show and kick JP to the curb and resume his position as head writer.
Oh okay I stopped watching soaps after they took my favorite one off.
@X I am not so sure because he still has another show that was picked up by Fox so he might just be on that one.
বছরখানেক আগে aceg said…
smile
@BonnieStan: lol same here. sometimes I really think TVD writers and soap writers share similar brain.
@aceg I think she needs a break and they should let Kevin or someone else step in.
বছরখানেক আগে X-NightSlash-X said…
@Bonnie: Seriously? The dude needs to stop being a multi tasker and focuse on one thing and that is The Vampire Dairies. It's clear to say that the show started going downhill when KW took off to go work on other shows such as TSC which was a waste because CW cancelled it. It was actually a good show too. I was starting to get so into it. Season 4 for TVD needs to be good or else...geesh I don't what to even think of a what else. I've been a fan of this show for so long and I'm still am. I just hate to see it loose it's fans and storyline that was once excellent! :(
@X yes! I loved TSC, but he left that too after like maybe four episodes. I am guessing that is to work on his new show. But I still have some hope for season 4, but not a lot. If it continues this way it will keep losing fans.
বছরখানেক আগে aceg said…
smile
After the cancellation of TSC and Ringer, TVD seems to be the only new CW series which fare better in the last couple of years. CW wouldn't dare withstand losing TVD... Then again, it is a teenage soapy show who knows what it will happen when they are running out of ideas lol.
@aceg If it does good in the ratings like season 1- 2 then they will keep it. They wouldn't even let the Gossip Girl people out of their six seasons contract even though the show is crashing and burning and they want to move on to different things.
বছরখানেক আগে YumYumBamon said…
I don't think that JP is a racist... I think she plays favorites to the character that she like and for the most part many writers do this ( from what I see anyway). Now, I'm not a fan of her writting and the stuff I do like characters that have all the best scence anyway get her great writting. (i.e; Elena, Stefen, Carol)
However, I think with the uproar from not just Bamon fans but fan of TVD as a whole asking for better character development for Bonnie and Matt and Taylor I think that is something that they are striving for in season 4. Will that mean we may get some Bamon moment... I think there is a good chance that their will be; just not right away. Ian, Kat and JP know that there is a large group of fans that want Bamon to happen ( since the start of season 3 they have known)

I guess only time will tell at this point if and when that will happen, but I have to much faith left in people to belive that JP could be racist... I just think she is playing favorites. At least, that is my hope anyway,
বছরখানেক আগে helomusic said…
rainy
I don't think she's racist. But I do think she's stupid. Most of the thing she's writing don't make particularly a lot of sense. And the fact that she's attacking a part of the fandom just because she can is just not possible for me. I don't like her at all.
I agree with YumYumBamon she like to play favourite with the characters and by doing it she's basically ruining the show because the storylines don't make sense anymore, even the big plots at the end are just idiotic. Perfect example the huge Original drama, Elena's death is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life, the fact that they are questioning Elena's love for Stefan just by implying that if she would have met Damon first that would have meant she would have been in love with him, no even better, the fact that Damon compelled her means he pushed her into Stefan's arms so he is the reason of Stelena. She gave a book Bamon scene to Delena come on, that's just stupid in so many levels. Pff;

Not racist but disrespectful yes, and an idiot yes.
I hope she is just stupid because she has after season four two more contracted seasons to work on Bonnie, Matt and Tyler. I'm not sure if I will be able to watch after season four if it continues on this path.
worried
Many of what you said is true helomusic and Bonnie Stan. though I find JP to annoy me at times with the crap she come ups with for other characters and gives nothing to Bonnie a very important person I still have a little faith left... but just barely.

Season four is a big desiding facter for many fans of the show( not just of Bonnie or Bamon) I think most fans of TVD would agree that the writting and development is lacking and story arcs and many plots being pushed aside for sub-plot that are not in the book and in no way help move this story forward. Season four is JP time to get her mind right... with Elena's transformation there are thing in this season that must be hit in order to subdue the worries of so many in the TVD fandom. and that is mainly character development.

If she wants to make for another two season development need to be had by Bonnie, Tyler Matt and even Elena because right now they are all still very one demitional characters and that just doesn't seem right after three seasons. My hope and my strong feelings is that this season is the one that is going to make or break them So much will be happening and it is up to her to get every thing across in a way that will please people and want them to stick around.

If characters like Bonnie, tyler and matt are not futher devloped I don't see myself stick around past season 4 either. Not because I don't love TVD but because the writting and the writers are just stuck in a one frame of mind. Season 4 is JP time to step up... and I feel bad for her in a way because I'm pretty sure she is aware of the fact that many fans are just not happy with her at this point.

I will hold on to the bit of the faith I have left that season 4 will be diffrent that really all i can do at this point.
She has known for a while fans were not happy with her regarding Delena and Bonnie. I think even the Stefan fans feel like his ripper storyline got wasted mid season. I'll just wait. My two main reasons for watching this show now are Kat Graham and Paul Wesley.
Exactly, she knows fans are displeased with her so she has some serious work to do.... Yes Kat and Paul make my day lol and so does Ian. I think it the eyes that do me in lol

Haha everyone loves his eyes.
বছরখানেক আগে Jolie-Monster said…
hmmm
Not sure if she’s racist and I hope she is not. I don’t keep up with her in interviews but I can agree that she plays favorites. Unfortunately, Bonnie isn’t in her top five.

I don’t like her stance on Bonnie’s love life (humans? Really?). I hate the way she ignores Bonnie’s home life. I hate that she never writes a happy scene for Bonnie, we hardly see Bonnie smile. Bonnie is a martyr and that’s something else Julie can kick a can on.

**Shrug** I just think she lives her life through Elena’s character and we all know how much she loves Ian/Damon. What do you expect from a 40 year old fangirl?
sad
She also lives through Caroline. The way she gushs about her and Candice is just crazy. I think that's why all she does now is have sex and men thrown left and right at her.
বছরখানেক আগে ducky8abug4u said…
smile
Hi,

I think of Caroline as Julie Plec's little minnie-me, lol. Sort of like, the skinnier, taller, more attractive version of Julie Plec. The character seems to inspire Ms. Plec to write more scenes for her, and so she does. Other than that, I don't know much about her. I do know writer(s)/executiver(s) play favorites! I do know writers are sensitive to viewer feedback! I know that writers have a preset, possibly skewered, notion of what constitutes a developed ethnic character. That's all I know about her!
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
@ducky Exactly that's what Caroline is! If the writers were really sensitive about feedback they would have done better. It's not only the fans of Bonnie that notice her unfair treatment, but the journalist who review and watch TVD. You would think they would notice them over us, but nope.
বছরখানেক আগে windchaser said…
JMHO...Don’t know much about JP…I would hope that she wasn’t racist. I do know she’s not a very good writer. She is not good at cast integration and has no clue how to pace or write for the entire cast. JP’s focus is around the threesome and seems to be obsessed with everything Elena. JP lives vicariously through Elena-having two hot men at your beck and call and to fight over and worship you. As you can tell I’m not a big Elena fan. Though I do like Elena with Stefan and I’m skeeved out by the thought of Delena. lol
I agree windchaser.
বছরখানেক আগে DamonsLilBird said…
I would flippin hate to think JP is racist as some one as meh self who is of mixed blood. This would really bloody rub meh knots and I would not be too manky pleased either. Though I was called mental disorient by DE fans who claimed they are not flippin Jack a roos when it comes to DE/Nian, they claimed we are losers because Bamon is disgusting. I Find JP to have crush on Ian and knowing he is TVD's so called fav she writes only for him and reel life GF nina becuz she fav girl. I for one am tired of her and as of whole show TVD is losing in meh eyes. YUM YUM is right S4 is deciding fate for TVD "Are ya gonna give us manky Bamon along with Dumb Entertainment" With Bonnie Character development or are yee gonna leave us bloody dried? Time will tell.
বছরখানেক আগে zamy23 said…
kiss
I think she is and if you notice why do they cast every black person on the show to get killed. This week alone two black young man DEAD. The hunter and one of Klaus hybrid who was not bad and even help Stefan and Elena from Klaus. I love Bonnie Character and I hate the fact Julie Plec seem to favor people of white descent. I hope once at the beginning of the show there would be a bonnie and Damon relationship. Right now I could see her dating the Matt. And personal I was hoping to see more of the hunter he was there for only four episode but it was good. Also he's