ডিজনি জগতের রাজকন্যা Feminism & Princesses ফোরাম

princesslullaby posted on Jan 20, 2018 at 10:05PM
Here we can discuss our views on feminism and the Disney Princess movies!

Anyone can comment here their views and opinions, just start talking:)

ডিজনি জগতের রাজকন্যা 21 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে princesslullaby said…
Here's a question: Is there a princess you think is a lot more feminist than she is normally given credit for?

My answer is Ariel, but I won't go into so much detail right now. I certainly think she's more feminist than Belle, who is often labeled a feminist despite having little agency and being in the male narrative-- and Belle is my 2nd favorite so this is not an intentional drag.

Also, are you of the agreement that Mulan is the most feminist princess?

When we say "most feminist", remember feminism is about agency and women making their own choices. I do agree that Mulan is the most feminist, but not because she got strong in the army.
বছরখানেক আগে SarahCorine said…
I think Mulan could be thought of as the most feminist princess. She's doing something that even in the movie is seen as disgraceful. She's a woman in the army and not only that, but saved China. She did so along side men. So I definitely agree that she's feminist. In terms of marriage, I'd say Jasmine and Merida are pretty feminist too. Jasmine because she stands up for herself by refusing to be a prize and just marry anyone. Merida too. I've only seen Brave once so I'm going off of what I remember. Not wanting to marry because she's more than capable of living her life with or without a husband. Belle is feminist in the way that she shows that women can read and learn too, especially when up against Gaston's ignorant comment about women reading. She does well to stand up for herself too even against men, and even her own prince. Tiana is often seen as more feminist when compared to the others because she had a job and didn't have much of an interest in marriage until she met Naveen. I think a princess can want a prince and still be a feminist. It's a natural thing for people to want someone in their life. A partner or companion. Pocahontas had her prince, but she can be seen as feminist because she was willing to stand up for her people and stop a war.
Sparklefairy375 commented…
Couldn't agree আরো বছরখানেক আগে
Of course they can all be seen as having feminist qualities, but they can also have drawbacks as well. There's nothing wrong with the princess wanting a prince, feminism is about choice. But of the princesses, Ariel is the ONLY one who actively chooses a guy and goes after him herself. The rest are swept up in the male's narrative (Jasmine, Tiana, Belle, to some extent, Pocahontas) or chosen by the guy (Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Jasmine again ). Mulan, of course, doesn't have any real romance in her narrative (only hinted at the end with Shang) and Rapunzel actually blackmails a guy and forces him into her story, which is actually pretty great, and they basically tip toe around each others narratives. Merida, of course, doesn't have any man in her story so she's left of this.

Feminism is not standing up for people and stopping a war. That has little to do with feminism. What IS feminism is Pocahontas people' never questioning her authority and treating her opinion the same as anyone else's. Mulan saving China is not necessarily feminism, what IS feminist about it is Mulan never losing her femininity (defeating Shan Yu with her fan) and ignoring the men in power multiple times and coming out on top. To me what's NOT feminist is her still craving her dad's approval by the end when she was supposed to have learned she was good enough for herself and nobody else.
wavesurf commented…
^People still want the "stamp of approval from their parents" which is all that I see in মুলান hugging her dad and প্রদর্শিত হচ্ছে him the stuff from the emperor. Wanting the stamp of approval from your parents isn't unfeminist to me. বছরখানেক আগে
SarahCorine commented…
Definitely agree about that wavesurf. It didn't just undo everything she had done. That really was a beautiful moment between father and daughter. Last time she saw him, he ব্যক্ত some hurtful things too. It was him saying sorry and how proud he is of her. And it was মুলান telling him she missed him and loves him. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে wavesurf said…
I tend to agree with Disnerdtobe, here. All of the princesses make their own decisions ( although some make a greater quantity of their own decisions when compared to others). But I wouldn't DO as the internet LOVES to do, which is rate them from "least to most feminist" as if that makes SO MUCH DIFFERENCE. I tend to believe that the fact that females/princesses have "starring roles" in the film itself, that the focus is on them to a certain extent, and so there is feminism naturally built into that decision alone.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে MaidofOrleans said…
I agree that each princess is at least a little feminist in her own way. The only exception to this would probably be Aurora. I love her, but I just don't see how she's feminist at all. She has no agency in the film, and the one time she makes a decision for herself (when she breaks the rules and dances with Phillip) happens because a man encouraged her.

I think that Snow White, Cinderella, and Ariel are all a bit more feminist than most people give them credit for, and that Belle, Jasmine, and Tiana are a little less feminist than most people give them credit for.
AudreyFreak commented…
I think Disnerd ব্যক্ত it well, but I'll paraphrase the wonderful writer maryksand on Aurora: Aurora is a young woman whose independence and emotional needs are no longer that of a child's, which is exactly how the loving but protective পরী treat her sometimes. She desires companionship and breaks her aunts' rule about talking to strangers, because she met someone she felt a genuine connection with who was respectful and considerate towards her. She doesn't let him make the rules- she tells him they can get to know each other better on her turf, where she'll have her aunts' protection. In general, Aurora is not at all stupid অথবা a milksop as people say she is; she is shown to be intellectual and less innocent than her predecessors. Also, her great dignity and strength in being told her life is a lie. In an era when women were usually seen as overemotional and needing to be coddled, I liked her reaction was to cry and mourn as anyone would, but do what was right anyway. বছরখানেক আগে
MaidofOrleans commented…
^ Fair enough, but I fail to see how any of that counteracts what I ব্যক্ত about her. She breaks the rules to dance with Phillip because he, a man, encouraged her to do so. She allows him to pressure her into a situation that she is clearly extremely uncomfortable with initially. Yes, she tells him to come visit her in a place where she has আরো power, but this is still a decision she makes that revolves around a man. Plus, that interaction never ends up happening because she then falls into the traditional "damsel" role and has to be rescued দ্বারা him. I agree that she handles the situation with dignity and strength, but again, I fail to see how that makes her feminist. To me, feminism is primarily about agency, and for women to be allowed to exist outside of the men in their life, and Aurora has neither of those things imo. বছরখানেক আগে
AudreyFreak commented…
^exactly. Her life revolves far less around a man than Mulan's অথবা Tiana's but look how they're hailed as the epitome of a strong independent woman. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে Sparklefairy375 said…
I agree if Mulan was considered the most feminist. Not because she was strong, but she proves that a woman was able to do the same things that man usually do. Feminism is a belief that women should have equal rights and opportunities that a man usually have, and Mulan already prove that.

I think some of other princesses are still having the feminist quality in their own way, although not as strong as Mulan. Jasmine and Merida are feminist due of they stands up for themselves and refuse arranged marriage. Belle shown us that a woman have rights for reading and have knowledge. Tiana shown us that woman have rights for have a job and career. Pocahontas too, she stands with herself and speak her opinion.

I respectfully disagree with Disnerdtobe, who said that every princesses are feminist. I personally don't think Classic Princesses are feminist. What Disnerdtobe said about them is more like their good quality in overall for me, rather than their feminism traits. But it doesn't mean that being feminine, having a prince, and do chores are a bad thing. It's your own choice to be feminist or not.

I also don't think Ariel is feminist by the way. Yes she's way more active and she stands for her decision, but I don't think it was count as feminist movement. What she did is more like she was rebelling towards her father and chasing her crush. The same thing with Rapunzel, she just being feminine but also heroic in same way, which I don't find any feminism traits from her. Hitting peoples with pan and blackmailing Flynn doesn't mean she's a feminist, instead she was shown to be smart and quick thinking.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
princesslullaby commented…
Feminism is about agency, and a woman's choice. Unlike the other princesses, Ariel made an ACTIVE CHOICE in her narrative to go after eric (AFTER being pushed and shamed দ্বারা her father/patriarchy, she rebelled, not because of her being lovesick) and as long as Ariel makes an active choice herself to go after a guy, it's not less অথবা আরো feminist of her to do so. As long as she had the agency to do it, and it was her decision, there is nothing wrong nor does it make her less feminist to go after someone she loves. বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
Just to play devil's advocate I'd say that Ariel changing her body to accommodate Eric and being persuaded দ্বারা Ursula to use her body language and agreeing to get him to প্রণয় her without her voice (kind of enforcing the women don't need to talk, because what she says isn't important" type of rule. Ariel also leaves all of her sisters and প্রথমপাতা for ব্যক্ত boy. I personally think most of the ডিজনি Princesses are feminists in their own way (with the exception of Belle and Aurora). বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
It's all about perception Sparkfairy375 can have her view just as much as we have ours, no need to start an argument, when it's clear neither side is willing to change and understand the other. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে MaidofOrleans said…
Also I'm gonna link my DP Movie Bechdel Test article I wrote a couple years ago, in case anyone is interested in reading it (or re-reading it). link
Don't know about the test before, but that's interesting! বছরখানেক আগে
I don't get why need to take the test seriously and plus, seeing মতামত here just prove that আপনি don't even understand what's the main purpose of that test. I recently read the article, and so far that I see, the test is just calculating and analyze about influences of woman in movie history. And the test is very subjective and sure, it won't be satisfy everyone. বছরখানেক আগে
UnholyNoise commented…
wavesurf, i'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the bechdel test isn't leading to any changes in the industry when writers are already deliberately cranking out media that is আরো bechdel-compliant, and some countries are even using it to grade upcoming films (e.g. sweden). also, আপনি are asking the bechdel test to do an unreasonable amount of heavy lifting - since when do we expect any test to not only diagnose the problem but then also hold our hands and fix it for us? the blood sugar test isn't a bad test for not telling diabetics how to keep their glucose in check, অথবা for not making sure they actually do it; it's up to people to figure that shit out on their own. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে JungleQueen13 said…
Most feminist - well yes, I would say that is Mulan. She was part of a society that had strict gender roles and expectations, and while fighting for feminism wasn't Mulan's main driver, she certainly fought back against these while she tried to prove her own self-worth.
বছরখানেক আগে UnholyNoise said…
crossposted from the feminism poll that went to shit

here's my top 6 disney incels:

6. jafar (failed pick up artist)
5. shi fu
4. lawrence
3. prince john from robin hood (extensive mommy issues)
2. ratcliffe
1. omg definitely frollo

discuss :)
JungleQueen13 commented…
Haha I had to look up what an incel was but now I see what আপনি mean with these guys. I want to add Scar to the তালিকা as well! And Tito from Oliver and Company, Hades, Captain Hook. বছরখানেক আগে
BelleRose829 commented…
Whoops I didn't know what incel meant either, but does it always have to be male? If not the Match maker could be one too, even tho she's female. She promotes a mysoginistic society, just like all the men. also Ursula she says on land it's much prefer for ladies not to say a word AND she straight up uses Ariel's body as a toy and says she got to use her "body language" but if it has to be a dude, the I guess not XD বছরখানেক আগে
AudreyFreak commented…
And Grumpy is a reformed MGTOW বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে JungleQueen13 said…
This question is straying off topic a bit, but I'm curious to know which other well-known Disney/non-Disney animated heroines people find to be most feminist?
wavesurf commented…
^Well, I tend to think of Esmeralda, Kidagakash, Jane Porter, and Megara ( to an extent). And there are other heroines I প্রণয় from books. বছরখানেক আগে
UnholyNoise commented…
As far as non-Disneys go, the ones I usually see are: Anastasia, Marina, Chel, Miriam and Tzipporah, Kayley, Odette,...um...Astrid? Like, personally, I have different women I'd add to this, and I think some of the usuals, especially আনাস্তেসিয়াa and Tzipporah, are way less progessive than their fandoms give them credit for, but get higher billing for hitting the strong female character notes আরো easily অথবা for being the designated প্রণয় interest. বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
But then again, I also consider Belle and Megara to be pretty bad feminists, so the way I see things might seem a little weird. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে UnholyNoise said…
Agency is a major part of feminism and should be treated that way when we evaluate how feminist the princesses are. But I think there are other things that should be taken into account too - like sexualization (especially wrt women of color!!), how much they're confined to misogynistic character tropes (e.g. damselhood, strong female character syndrome), what impact they're allowed to have on the story (the "sexy lamp" test); even character design has a place in this discussion.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
i think they all pass the sexy lamp test, but the rest, yeah only a few.... বছরখানেক আগে
AudreyFreak commented…
If I have to hear one আরো guy (usually some teenage boy) says Jasmine/Pocahontas/Esmeralda/Ariel/Elsa is his "favorite" obviously just because of their outfits I'll let Elsa freeze my হৃদয় willingly. বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
^Same. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে snowybennet said…
heart
In my opinion Snow White isn´t anti-feministic, people make her seem like that.
Snow is actually a reivindicative character, when SW7D aired it was not very common to see movies where the woman plays and important role and actually runs away from home, at the time it was very common to see sexualized females viewed as an object or a trophee for males.
Snow isn´t like that, this 14 year old girl runs away from home and only cleans the house because she has been forced to clean all her life, and bc she thinks the dwarfs are actually 7 little children and maybe if she cleans the house for them they´ll let her stay. She is positive and kind, she is also flirty and sarcastic with Grumpy, she has personality, she is not an object.
Of course her role in the movie can´t be like Mulan, because Snow is just an orphan 14 year old girl that doesn´t know how to fight and has to find refuge bc her stepmother wants to kill her, she is one of the bravest princesses because she NEVER gives up, she doesn´t break down, she cares more about others than herself, she´s independet.
This is a reminder that being feminine shouldn´t be considered as a symbol of sexism but feminism, a woman is free to be and do and think whatever she wants. That´s one of the many reasons I love Snow she isn´t a tomboy, she is feminine but also brave, she keeps it classy.
 In my opinion Snow White isn´t anti-feministic, people make her seem like that. Snow is actually a
I think maybe for her time, snow White MAY have been feminist (she's still a cooking cleaning homemaker so I don't know how much credit I want to give her) but on a grand scale she is definitely not বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে AudreyFreak said…
Somewhat related, it seems to me that with a lot of (mainly male but not always) writers, if they CAN avoid writing positive female relationships, they do. Tiana x Lottie, Moana and her grandma, Pocahontas x Nakoma, and Aurora and the fairies are great but it kills me how barring Aurora, NONE of the girls are Mama's girls. I'm not bashing women who are closer to their dads, but it seems Disney has little idea of what to do with moms so they just either kill them off or let them sit on the side. Even Moana does this and her mom probably has the most screen time barring Elinor. This is so common in the media, even in series that are fairly progressive with their female characters (I'm looking at you, A Song of Ice and Fire). Merida does have the most realistic relationship with Elinor I think, but again, she prefers Fergus. This also is another issue, how 2 heroines with different interests naturally can't get along. (Which was a wasted opportunity with Frozen but I guess they kinda made up for it in the short films?) It just ticks me off that movies seem to think moms are useless and father figures matter more. I hope Disney fixes this in the future.
Absolutely agree. I do appreciate that ব্রেভ is about Merida and her mom building a relationship, , certainly better than the mom being dead. All of the princesses are daddy's girls, even Tiana whose dad is literally dead, receives আরো screentime than Eudora. I would say probably Ariel is closer to her mom in TLM3 than her dad, and even TLM and TLM2 she has a bad relationship with her father, but her mom is dead so...no screentime. And the way moms are ALWAYS represented as kind, nuturing, and pure, never loud অথবা bombastic like Fergus অথবা the others. Would be nice to see that as well, a mom with a commanding personality অথবা at least not just kind sweet and demure. বছরখানেক আগে
UnholyNoise commented…
^ or, আপনি know, recognize they're out of their depth and hire actual women to write these things instead? and also, this isn't an either-or issue - marketing plays into it, but so do many other things, such as men in media being generally uninterested in and ignorant about in the aspects of women's lives where men aren't foregrounded. বছরখানেক আগে
MaidofOrleans commented…
^ This! বছরখানেক আগে
Going off of what AudreyFreak wrote above, the princesses movies have an appalling lack of female sidekicks. Every princess has heavily male sidekicks and the only time they have a female sidekick she's usually an old woman (the 3 fairies, fairy godmother, mrs.potts). for the latter 2, Cinderella's male sidekicks and in regards to BATB, lumiere and cogsworth have more of a presence than mrs. potts. The only exception is Nakoma, who is young, but still has less screentime than Meeko and Percy. I'm always so angry that EVERY Disney princess movie has heavily more male characters with screentimes and names, except for the princesses. (again, interesting exception is sleeping beauty). Lottie may be another exception, but I really wouldn't call her Tiana's sidekick-- she actually unintentionally opposes her-- and still ray and louis have more screentime.
so many sidekicks could have been female. how cool would a female lumiere have been? suave and dashing. female maximus! even just a female pascal! female louis, dreaming of being a trumpet player? but it's always a male. বছরখানেক আগে
wavesurf commented…
eah. I did realize this a while ago... That along with killing off the mothers, the বন্ধু of the princesses are mainly males. It is odd that even the pets: সারমেয় that belong to other people, and not necessarily to the princess (Bruno, Little Brother) and মার্জার (Lucifer, Rajah) are males. The one exception is Stella, but she gets, like, 40 সেকেন্ড of screentime? You're right. Angus, Phillipe, Samson, Maximus, and Khan are all male, too. It's weirdly repetitive. বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
^Then why did Walt ডিজনি make সিন্ড্রেলা that's mostly all about women. But we do have quite a few female sidekick, I mentioned টিংকারবেল and the মাছ before, but there's also Turk, ফুল (the skunk), Mrs. Potts, Dory, Esmeralda, Eilonwy (to some extent), Big Mama, Nana, Lady Kluck, Madame de la Grande. There's clearly a lack of of female lead and female sidekick, but female sidekicks do exist, they just go unnoticed most of the time. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে BelleRose829 said…
I'm highly unfeminist (mostly due the negative connotation with them on the internet), but I think that's the only real feminist princesses are Mulan and Belle since they really ring home the I don't need a man thing. The worst example are probably the classics, and the man dependants like Jasmine, Ariel, and Pocahontas. I think Tia and Merida could be considered feminist too, but they're among the more hot-headed types. This probably annoys some people, but yolo.
I'm not sure how আপনি consider Belle আরো feminist than Merida just because Merida is আরো hotheaded. Just because Merida has a temper doesn't make her less feminist. Belle, if anything, had very little of her own agency in her story and was still ট্যাঙ্গেল্ড up in the male's narrative. At least Ariel and Pocahontas create their own narrative, especially Ariel. Also, pretty poor reason to be antifeminist because of negative connotation on the internet, that's like not liking a movie because আপনি don't like the fandom. If আপনি belive in equality between genders and a woman's right to choose, you're a feminist. বছরখানেক আগে
BelleRose829 commented…
I prefer the term equalist, as in I want equality between all human beings. I'm not just focused on the women, but everybody. That's also why I don't considered myself a feminist because I'm other things too, and value equality in other demographics as well. Also I personally think the perfect "feminist" character doesn't have to be overly hotheaded অথবা tomboyish like Merida, that's why I think Belle's a better feminist. Sure Pocahontas and Ariel do their own thing, buuuuttt they kind of only do their things because অথবা revolving around men, I mean there's barely any other female characters that make an impact on them, except for Ursula in ariel's case. Also it's আরো like not liking a movie because all your friend don't like it, but I get your point. বছরখানেক আগে
MissCinico commented…
I agree with Princesslullaby, I think most all other other princesses could be considered feminists besides Belle and Aurora. Belle gets tossed around during the whole duration of the film and has nothing to advocate for besides her snarky remarks about the Beast and how rude he is. Also I think জুঁই is extremely feminist প্রদত্ত the situation she's been put in. বছরখানেক আগে
UnholyNoise commented…
@bellerose - intersectional feminism is a thing; it's not like femiinists only care about themselves and no one else. and like...the patriarchy is terrible for guys too. বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে notbrandyss said…
People always complain about the princesses being poor role models, but for example some of the non princesses carry good feministic qualities: Miss Bianca is a highly esteemed diplomat, Nani and Kanga are single moms caring for their children without a man aiding them, Duchess and Lady are the main leads of their movies who drive the plot forward, not the men, etc etc...
notbrandyss commented…
in b4 some salty fanbrat comes in to tell me how I'm all wrong, that they're nowhere near as feminist as Belle অথবা Aurora, and blah blah blah muh morals, muh preachiness... বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে notbrandyss said…
Also, Judy Hopps. Police Officer. Hard-working, determined, and has a big flaw that she's willing to work to defeat. Of course, the "best role models are the classic princesses cause they're good housewives" crowd would probably hate her for daring to do something outside of cleaning and cooking.
^good thing they don't exist then since this isn't the 60s or a red pill forum, lol. I've still yet to see Judy get any hate from anyone besides scarletunicorn.
UnholyNoise commented…
layla needs to put আরো research into her trolling. i've seen exactly zero people here praise the classics because they're "good housewives." বছরখানেক আগে
notbrandyss commented…
And Audreyfreak isn't a housewife fetishist? don't joke with me UnholyNoise, আপনি should like me. বছরখানেক আগে
notbrandyss commented…
And আপনি hate her, don't deny it. বছরখানেক আগে
AudreyFreak commented…
sdkfhdkjsl looking back at this is hilarious. also, make up your mind about what characters আপনি hate/love, Eryn. আপনি went from squeeing over Judy to wishing her dead to loving her again. Your opinion means very little when আপনি change it every other breath. Maybe আপনি can get over your weird, cringy, সেকেন্ড wave feminist hatred of women who work at home. not everyone can leech off mami and papi's $$ বছরখানেক আগে
Can we at least agree 90s second wave feminism that hates housewives, moms, etc needs to die in that era? Like yeah, third wave is not perfect (plus there's now so many different kinds of feminists) but at least most in that movement truly agree there's nothing bad about women choosing to be a mom and working at home. although rich privileged "feminists" like SU up there who have a very shallow, childish idea of empowerment that usually revolves around female characters being sassy or having magic powers or something don't agree. y'all are the worst kinds of feminists because you think there's only one way to be, and you don't consider women too oppressed to stand up to their oppressors, poor women, etc.
what also ticks me off about that type is that they really cherry pick what female characters are strong and which aren't. for example, we know Tiana is a good role model but I hear a lot of people (not anyone here, just in general) who praise her for having a cooking career also say Snow is a bad role model for... in a sense, also having a cooking career. the difference is Snow's hobby is much more feminine coded (she doesn't earn cash for it, and does it in part out of affection for her found family than to make a name for herself or earn a living). Or with the non princesses/non disney girls- Jasmine gets a ton of hate for her attitude yet Meg or Anastasia get praised for the exact same reason, and they also "needed a man" as much as she did.
AdelitaI commented…
Well, with Tiana and Snow White it’s no really double standard. As আপনি said, Snow’s hobby is much আরো feminine-code. Haute cuisine is a traditionally male area. Agree that Jasmine/Megara is a double standard because actually জুঁই rudeness is much less likely to be misplaced বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে Swanpride said…
I am a feminist. For a while, I didn't want to sure the term, because of the negative connotation attached to it, but I eventually realised that a few people I disagree with don't represent the whole movement, and that I should own my desire for gender equality.

I think that every Disney Princess is feminist in their own way, and they certainly were feminist when their respective movie was released. Plus, Disney doesn't end at "princesses" there are other female leads which are pretty great.