Harper's Island I'm confused.............

JimmyManceLuvr posted on Aug 24, 2009 at 07:54PM
Okay, so we know why Wakefield killed Sarah Mills, but why did he keep killing others? And what was his part in killing the people in the wedding party? I don't understand why it didn't stop there, why killing Sarah wasn't enough........

Harper's Island 9 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে freakiin_ruby said…
I've wondered about that too..
maybe he wanted to kill everyone on the island,but was stopped.
Then he got himself some back-up (Henry) and returned.
I don't know if that makes any sence,it's just my theory.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে JimmyManceLuvr said…
smile
Good theory. i appreciate your input!
বছরখানেক আগে Loky said…
In ep 11 Chloe (when Wakefield put her in this storm drain or whatever) says: 'Why are you doing this to us? Whe didn't do anything to you'.
He replies : 'I almost died for woman like you'
That made me think. First of all, Sarah got to the island to run away from him. Maybe he felt like everyone there were helping to keep them apart? Not only Sheriff but generally people there, because she was looking for help among them. Sort of accomplices in the crime, that took Sarah away from him. So he wanted revange, for that and for almost killing him.
Next part. He wanted to kill Sheriff and his deputies- obvious reason, and Abby - because she was the child Sarah had with another man (not him) and she was her father's daughter - he wanted Sheriff to know what it's like to loose a child. Wedding was the only way to get his victims back together, especially Abby (as Henry said), who was I think the biggest prize for Wakefield. (He only didn't know how strong Henry felt about her) After killing Trish, he said to Henry 'She served a purpose, nothing else matters'. So I think the wedding guests were just collateral damage, because e.g. Wakefield said about Danny: 'He didn't embarras himself' like almost a regret that he happened to be on the island.
And we can't forget he was a sociopath, he liked killing, it was thrilling for him.
বছরখানেক আগে JimmyManceLuvr said…
Thanks!!
বছরখানেক আগে Helen-Lover said…
haha idk cuzz hes a seriel killer he enjoys killing ppl
বছরখানেক আগে Helen-Lover said…
smile
Loky AWSOME reply!!!!!!!!!!
বছরখানেক আগে cassie_volk said…
^ Agree with Loky.

Sociopaths don’t think about things the same way normal people do. If you hook up electrodes to the brain of a normal person and give them a series of words (i.e. rape, torture, mutilation, breakfast, swimming, etc.) their brainwaves spike at the more violent/disturbing things. A sociopath’s doesn’t. They think of it in the same way they would in doing laundry or eating breakfast. (This is the same theory as with pedophiles- show them pictures of children mixed in with pictures of adults and their brains will spike with the children.) They have no moral parameters, no conscience. To them the laws of society are unimportant and what is ‘right’ and what is ‘wrong’ is subjective. There is no ‘doing evil’ for them, there is simply doing what they desire to.

True sociopaths, once they act out on their violent tendencies, never stop. It’s like flipping a switch and having the wiring short-circuit. The only things that can stop them are prison or death. They come to enjoy ‘playing God’ and won’t ever stop. This can also be applied to Henry. There is no way he would never, ever have been able to not kill again. The island would never have stayed entirely empty and he would have killed who came back. Furthermore if Abby had never given in to him (which we know she wouldn’t have) he would have eventually freaked out on her and killed her. Yes, he would have regretted it but he would have done it and perhaps he would have killed himself afterwards but he still would have done it.

Now, there is really no such thing as true ‘love’ with sociopaths. Henry might not be a complete sociopath since he did, in fact, love Abby. Wakefield was, however, a sociopath. His anger was driven entirely by the possessive nature he felt towards Sarah. Sociopaths become possessive of people or objects. You don’t take what belongs to them. If you do then you pay the price. Charlie ‘took’ Sarah from him, he helped her hide, the rest of the island were guilty by association (remember, sociopaths aren’t always LOGICAL even though they are considered to be geniuses). Sarah was guilty of taking away his child- once again taking away what belonged to him. (Sully, in theory, was guilty of trying to take away something that belonged to Henry- Trish.)

Killing Sarah was only part of the revenge Wakefield was getting against her and Charlie for each taking away something that belongs to him but killing Abby would have been even MORE torment for Sarah and Charlie even if they were dead- the ultimate slap in the face. And besides being needed for the whole plan to go off without a hitch the death of everyone in the wedding party as well as the other locals that died would be a good form of psychological torture for Abby, to have to watch the other people there die and freak out. It was probably very amusing to Wakefield to see her suffer the way she was during the whole thing. (This was also achieved by having various people she’s known her whole life and cared about be made into suspects i.e. J.D., her father and then Jimmy.)
বছরখানেক আগে energizerbunny said…
Because the writers wanted him to keep killing :P
বছরখানেক আগে cassie_volk said…
laugh
^ Fair point.