লর্ডস্‌ অব দ্যা রিং পছন্দ LotR উদ্ধৃতি

becca85 posted on Mar 01, 2009 at 10:47PM
I_luv_angst's quote questions in the pop quiz section got me thinking...what are some of your favorite quotes from the books and movies? Everyone...

last edited on Mar 01, 2009 at 10:52PM

লর্ডস্‌ অব দ্যা রিং 22 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে becca85 said…
Mine include:

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." (Gimli ~ book)

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” (Bilbo ~ movie)

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” (Galadriel ~ movie)

“If in doubt, always follow your nose.” (Gandalf ~ movie)

“I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.” (Galadriel ~ movie)

“No parent should have to bury their child.” (Theoden ~ movie)

Sam: “It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.”
Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?”
Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.” (movie)

I have a TON of quotes that I took from Mr. Tolkien's text. He has some excellent words of wisdom.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে i_luv_angst said…
Here's mine:
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." - Gandalf, FotR (book)

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.' - FotR (book)

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf, RotK (book)

Gandalf had a lot of good quotes!!!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo, FotR (book)

"Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake, fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!" - Theoden, RotK (book)
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে becca85 said…
big smile
I have those first two you listed, too.

All this LotR talk makes me want to watch the movies again...
বছরখানেক আগে bendaimmortal said…
heart
As I said in another topic, it's been so long since I last read the book, that I can't remember what other lines I love except some of those that were taken into the films. When I read the book next time, I'll list more. ^^

Here's my list for now, some from the books, some not:

X "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee. Here at the end of all things." Frodo, in book and film.
X "Do you remember the taste of strawberries, Mr. Frodo?" "No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food, the sound of water or the touch of grass. I'm naked in the dark. There is no veil between me and the ring of fire. I can see it with my waking eyes!" Obviously Frodo and Sam. In both book and film. And darn, how excellent choice Elijah Wood was for Frodo.
X "Fool of a Took!" Go Gandalf! :D Book and film. Especially the Finnish version of this quote is too damn funny. :D Gandalf has many quotes that I love.
X "Is there any hope, Gandalf? For Frodo and Sam?" "There never was much hope. Only fool's hope." Pippin and Gandalf. At least in the film.
X "The strength of the Ring Bearer is fading. In his heart Frodo's beginning to understand; the Quest will claim his life. It is the risk we all took." Galadriel, in the film.
X "There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool, he remains." Gandalf, book and film.
X "I will not say do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." Gandalf, book and film.
X "You smoke too much, Pip." Merri, at least in the film.
X "Certianty of death, small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" Gimli, at least in the film.
X "Never thought I'd die side by side with an elf." "How about side by side with a friend?" "Aye. I could do that." Gimli and Legolas, in the film at least.
X "For Frodo." Of course not in itself but in the situation in question: Aragorn just before their armey met Mordor's. Film at least.
X "'Don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to." Sam, book and film.
X "Don't leave me here alone. Don't go where I can't follow." Sam, book and film.
X “I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.” Galadriel, book and film.
X "If by my life or my death I can protect you - I will." Aragorn to Frodo. Film at least.
X "You carry the fate of us all, little one." Boromir to Frodo. Film at least.
X "You would die before your stroke fell!" Legolas about Emomer cutting off Gimli's head, while pointing his readied bow at Eomer. In the film at least.
X "Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were to small to understand why." Sam, in the film at least.
X "My dear San. You can not always be torn in two. You'll have to be one and whole for many years. Your part in the Story will go on." Frodo, in the film. Though I love the book's version more; how the book goes more detailed and wordy on all that and I wish the film had refered to the fact that Sam, as one of the Ring-bearers, could reunite with Frodo, in time.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে adieee said…
basically all of merry and pippin's from the movies,
i haven't read any of the books so i don't know if these quotes are in them or not and i haven't seen the movies in a bit so i might get thequotes or when and where they said it wrong,
"What is that?" "This my friend is a pint" "It comes in pints? I'm getting one!" Merry and Pippin at the Prancing Pony, at least the movie

"What's in that?" "Just a little seasoning, I was thinking in case we were having a roast chicken" Frodo and Sam

"Po-ta-toes! Boil em, roast em, stick em in a stew" Sam to Gollum

"If by my life or my death I can protect you, I will, you have my sword" "And my bow," "And my axe" Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli

"We have just agreed..." "Yes?" "I have told your names to the Entmoot, and we have agreed you are not orcs" "Well that's good news" Treebeard, Merry and Pippin

"It's talking Merry, the tree is talking" Pippin about Treebeard

"Don't talk to it Merry. Don't encourage it" Pippin

"Merry?" "What Pip?" "I'm hungry" Merry and Pippin, i don't know why but that quote always cracks me up lol

and there are heaps more but i have to go
Vlcek commented…
আপনি forgot my favourite :-) "You need people with intelligence on this sort of mission, quest, thing" "Well, that rules আপনি out, Pip" বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে andrew9801 said…
My favorites are:
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" ~Gandalf to the Balrog
"Do you not know death when you see it, old man? This is MY hour!" ~The Witch-King to Gandalf
"For Frodo." ~Aragorn
"Run. Run!" ~Aragorn to Frodo before the battle at Amon-Hen
"Let the lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!" ~Aragorn (to no one in particular)
"Well, I'm taller than you were then. Though I'm not likely to grow anymore... except sideways." ~Pippin to Faramir
"Feast on his flesh.""I will kill you if you touch him!" ~The Witch-King and Eowyn
"Send forth all legions. Do not stop the attack until the city is taken. Slay them all." "What of the wizard? "I will break him." The Witch-King commands to assault Minas Tirith.
"Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?" ~Theoden
"Abandon your posts! Flee for your lives!!Ow!" "Prepare for battle!" ~Denethor and Gandalf
বছরখানেক আগে daveharris said…
My favorites are: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo, FotR (book).
“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” (Bilbo ~ movie)
"What is that?" "This my friend is a pint" "It comes in pints? I'm getting one!" Merry and Pippin at the Prancing Pony, at least the movie

বছরখানেক আগে weaslyismyking said…
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

----

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost."
-Bilbo

----

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

----

"Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not"
-Gandalf

There's more but I can't think of them all at the moment. Tolkien has so many great quotes.
বছরখানেক আগে mooimafish17 said…
My friends - you bow to no one
বছরখানেক আগে snowballs said…
rainy
Gimli return of the king, "certainty of death, little chance of success......what are we waiting for"
বছরখানেক আগে Shepard14 said…
All of what you guys just said! I love every quote!
বছরখানেক আগে zikosakira said…

Gandalf after helm's deep victory "the battle for helm deep is over, the one for the middle earth is about to began"

বছরখানেক আগে kool123 said…
Frodo in FOTR: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf in ROTK: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path.
Sam in TTT: There's some good in this world and it's worth fighting for.
Aragorn in ROTK: I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me!
Gollum in TTT: You keep nasty chips! Lol! XD
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে Mallory101 said…
-Pippin: It's talking, Merry. The tree is talking.(TTT)

-Gandalf: The battle of Helm's Deep is over; the battle for Middle Earth is about to begin.(TTT)

-Sam: There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins, and
The Lord of the Rings by Frodo Baggins. You finished it.
Frodo: Not quite. There's room for a little more. (ROTK)

-Pippin: [to himself] What were you thinking, Peregrin Took? What service could a hobbit offer such a great lord of men?

Faramir: [approaching] It was well done. Generous deeds should not be checked by cold council. You are to join the tower guard?

Pippin: I didn't think they would find any livery that would fit me.

Faramir: It once belonged to a boy of the citadel. A very foolish one; who spent many hours slaying dragons instead of attending to his studies.

Pippin: This was yours?

Faramir: Yes, it was mine. My father had it made for me.

Pippin: Well, I'm taller than you were then. Though I'm not likely to grow anymore... except sideways.

Faramir: Never fitted me either. Boromir was always the soldier. They were so alike, he and my father. Proud... stubborn even. But strong.

Pippin: I think you have strength, of a different kind. And one day your father will see it. (ROTK)

-Arwen:"I'd rather spend a lifetime with you then an eternity alone"(FOTR)

-Legolas: Would you like me to describe it for you, or should I go get you a box?(TTT)

-Gandalf: "End? No the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of the world rolls back, and then you see it...."(ROTK)

-Boromir: Our people, our people. I would have followed you to the end... my brother... my captain... my king .(FOTR)

-Arwen:From the ashes a fire shall be woken.
A light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken.
The crownless again shall be king. (ROTK)

-Frodo: "The last pages are for you, Sam." [ I cry Everytime I watch Frodo board that boat , Look back & Smile at Pippin , Merry and Sam.]

বছরখানেক আগে cheekimunkei said…
big smile

i love all of them!

forgotten one.... i think...
"men of gondor, men of rohan, my brothers. i see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. the day may come when the courage of men fails and we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day! an hour of woe, of shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! for all that you hold dear on this good earth, i bid you stand, men of the west!
-aragorn, field of cormallen, film.

oh, i feel like a lotr nerd, how did i remember that...
'and proud of it' bangs cup down.

and no one evrer put the whole poem...
all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander are lost
the old that is strong does not wither
deep roots are not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire shall be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed shall be blade that was broken
and the crownless again shall be king
-about aragorn, book and movie.

oh and.... its ours, ourssss! preciousssss!!!!!!
বছরখানেক আগে DracoLuver said…
Sam: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales.
Frodo: [turns around] What?
Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?' 'Yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits. And that's saying a lot.'
Frodo: [continue walking] You've left out one of the chief characters - Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam.
[stops and turns to Sam]
Frodo: Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam.
Sam: Now Mr. Frodo, you shouldn't make fun; I was being serious.
Frodo: So was I.

Galadriel: The time of the Elves is over. Do we leave Middle-earth to its fate? Do we let them stand alone?

Sam: This looks strangely familiar.
Frodo: Because we've been here before. We're going in circles!

Treebeard: We have just agreed...
[Merry and Pippin lean in]
Merry: Yes?
Treebeard: I have told your names to the Entmoot, and we have agreed you are not orcs.
Pippin: Well, that's good news.

Gimli: Whatever luck you live by... let's hope it lasts the night.
Legolas: You're friends are with you, Aragorn.
Gimli: Let's hope they last the night...

"What can men do against such reckless hate?" - King Theoden in the movie.

Gandalf: If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war.
Theoden: Tell me, why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?

"King Theoden stands alone."
"Not alone, Rohirrim!"

I'm afraid if I kept going, I'd probably write the whole script and every quote in the books.
বছরখানেক আগে cc020 said…
Theoden: A great host, you say?
Aragorn: All Isengard is emptied.
Theoden: How many?
Aragorn: Ten thousand strong at least.
Theoden: [astonished] Ten thousand?
Aragorn: It is an army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of men. They will be here by nightfall.
Theoden: Let them come.
বছরখানেক আগে marauders101 said…
My precious...
বছরখানেক আগে im_a_woodelf said…
"What did you blush for Sam?" asked Pippin. "You soon broke down. Anyone would have thought you had a guilty conscience. I hope it was nothing more than a wicked plot to steal one of my blankets."
বছরখানেক আগে Book-Freak said…
I have quite a few :) These are the ones I can remember, off the top of my head.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

"Every path you have trodden, through wilderness, though war, has lead to this."

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The old who are strong do not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king."

"The world is full of hurts and mischiefs without war to multiply them."

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no way of knowing where you might be swept off to."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places. But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater."

“I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"Courage is found in unlikely places."

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
বছরখানেক আগে Stabatha said…
I love every single one of those quotes, but... no one loves Galadriel's lines as much as I do?

"I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew
Beyond the Sun, beyond the Moon, a foam was on the Sea
And by the strand of Ilmarin there grew a golden Tree
Beneath the stars of Ever-eve in Eldamar it shone:
In Eldamar, beside the walls of Elven-Tirion
There long the golden leaves have grown upon the branching years
While here beyond the sundering seas now fall the elven tears
O Lorien! The Winter comes, the bare and leafless day
The leaves are falling in the stream; the river flows away
O Lorien! Too long I have dwelled upon this Hither Shore
And in a fading crown have twined the golden elanor
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?"

"Where now are the Dunedain, Elessar, Elessar?
Why do thy kinsfolk wander afar?
Near is the hour when the lost should come forth
And the Grey Company ride from the North
But dark is the path appointed for thee;
The Dead watch the road that leads to the Sea."

"Legolas Greenleaf, long under tree
In joy thou hast lived; beware of the Sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more."

I haven't read these books since I was seventeen, but I can still quote almost verbatim nearly every line of verse... but I'll spare you all my reciting the story of Luthien Tinuviel and leave it at that lol.
বছরখানেক আগে LowriLorenza89 said…
Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, but another is Eowyn's little speech before she defeats the Witch King - "But I no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him." I love how she's described in that moment - eyes fell and hard, yet with tears on her cheeks.