Seaworld Sea World তিমি Trainer Killed

DreamyGal posted on Feb 25, 2010 at 01:45PM
I just read this on baynews9.com So sad!!

By MIKE SCHNEIDER
Associated Press Writer
ORLANDO (AP) -- A veteran SeaWorld trainer was leisurely rubbing a killer whale from a poolside platform when the 12,000-pound creature reached up, grabbed her with its mouth and dragged her underwater. Despite workers rushing to help, the trainer was killed.

Horrified visitors who had stuck around after a noontime show watched the animal charge through the pool with the trainer in its jaws. Workers used nets as an alarm sounded, but it was too late. Dawn Brancheau had drowned. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

Brancheau's interaction with the whale appeared leisurely and informal at first to audience member Eldon Skaggs. But then, the whale "pulled her under and started swimming around with her," Skaggs said.

Some workers hustled the audience out of the stadium while the others tried to save Brancheau, 40.
Skaggs said he heard that during an earlier show the whale was not responding to directions. Others who attended the earlier show said the whale was behaving like an ornery child.

Skaggs left with his wife and didn't find out until later that the trainer had died. The retired couple from Michigan had been among some stragglers who stayed to watch the animals and trainers when the accident occurred.

"We were just a little bit stunned," said Skaggs' wife, Sue Nichols, 67.

Another audience member, Victoria Biniak, said the whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off."

Two other witnesses said that the whale grabbed the woman by the upper arm and tossed her around in its mouth while swimming rapidly around the tank. Brazilian tourist Joao Lucio DeCosta Sobrinho and his girlfriend were at an underwater viewing area when they suddenly saw a whale with a person in its mouth.

The couple said they watched the whale show at the park two days earlier and came back to take pictures. But on Wednesday the whales appeared agitated.

"It was terrible. It's very difficult to see the image," Sobrinho said.

Park officials confirmed that Tilikum grabbed Brancheau and pulled her in, drowning her.

Because of his size and the previous deaths, trainers were not supposed to get into the water with Tilikum, and only about a dozen of the park's 29 trainers worked with him. Brancheau had more experience with the 30-year-old whale than most. She was one of the park's most experienced trainers overall.

"We recognized he was different," said Chuck Tompkins, head of animal training at all SeaWorld parks. He said no decision has been made yet about what will happen to Tilikum, such as transferring him to another facility. SeaWorld has also suspended the killer whale shows at all of its parks, which also include locations in San Diego and San Antonio, to review procedures.

A SeaWorld spokesman said Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer in 1991 after the woman lost her balance and fell in the pool at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia.

Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.

Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.

Brancheau's older sister, Diane Gross, said the trainer wouldn't want anything done to the whale because she loved the animals like children. The trainer was married and didn't have children.

"She loved the whales like her children, she loved all of them," said Gross, of Schererville, Ind. "They all had personalities, good days and bad days."

Gross said the family viewed her sister's death as an unfortunate accident, adding: "It just hasn't sunk in yet."
Loved working with whales
Brancheau was the youngest of six children who grew up near Cedar Lake, Indiana. Her passion for marine life began at the age of nine, Gross said, on a family trip to Sea World.

According to a profile of Brancheau in the Orlando Sentinel in 2006, she was one of SeaWorld Orlando's leading trainers. Brancheau worked her way into a leadership role at Shamu Stadium during her career with SeaWorld, starting at the Sea Lion & Otter Stadium before spending 10 years working with killer whales, the newspaper said.

She also addressed the dangers of the job.

"You can't put yourself in the water unless you trust them and they trust you," Brancheau said.

Billy Hurley, chief animal officer at the Georgia Aquarium- the world's largest - said there are inherent dangers to working with orcas, just as there are with driving race cars or piloting jets.

"In the case of a killer whale, if they want your attention or if they're frustrated by something or if they're confused by something, there's only a few ways of handling that," he said. "If you're right near pool's edge and they decide they want a closer interaction during this, certainly they can grab you."

And, he added: "At 12,000 pounds there's not a lot of resisting you're going to do."

Mike Wald, a spokesman for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration office in Atlanta, said his agency had dispatched an investigator from Tampa.

Wednesday's death was not the first attack on whale trainers at SeaWorld parks.

In November 2006, a trainer was bitten and held underwater several times by a killer whale during a show at SeaWorld's San Diego park.

The trainer, Kenneth Peters, escaped with a broken foot. The 17-foot orca that attacked him was the dominant female of SeaWorld San Diego's seven killer whales. She had attacked Peters two other times, in 1993 and 1999.

In 2004, another whale at the company's San Antonio park tried to hit one of the trainers and attempted to bite him. He also escaped.

Wednesday's attack was the second time in two months that an orca trainer was killed at a marine park. On Dec. 24, 29-year-old Alexis Martinez Hernandez fell from a whale and crushed his ribcage at Loro Parque on the Spanish island of Tenerife. Park officials said the whale, a 14-year-old named Keto, made an unusual move as the two practiced a trick in which the whale lifts the trainer and leaps into the air.

Associated Press writers Lisa Orkin Emmanuel, Laura Wides-Munoz and David Fischer in Miami, Tamara Lush in St. Petersburg and Jeremy Hainsworth in Vancouver, British Columbia, contributed to this report.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
 I just read this on baynews9.com So sad!! দ্বারা MIKE SCHNEIDER Associated Press Writer ORLANDO (A

Seaworld 14 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে jedigal1990 said…
crying
yeah i live in orlando and heard this news its in fact been on continuously what happened was a horrible acceident it actually happened during the dine with shamu from what i heard she got to close to his mouth and he grabed her by the poneytail. they said the problem was she was to comfortable with the whale and got to close to his mouth. but its horrible that this happened seaworld on i believe friday or saturday started their shows again but no one was allowed in the water while they review saftey percausions
বছরখানেক আগে DreamyGal said…
sad
I read somewhere that those whales being in those pools is the equivalent of a human being in a bath tub. They need to release them back into the wild! Some might not make it because they wouldn't know how to survive on their own, but I think they deserve that chance. KEEP WILD ANIMALS IN THE WILD!!!!!!
বছরখানেক আগে IamJoining said…
DreamyGal,

I applaud your words. I am an animal lover and activist, and I just joined this site to try to help raise awareness about the problems inherent in SeaWorld. I just sent the company a letter, and here's the link if you want it:

link

This is also an interesting article about the incident - it provides a good perspective:

link

Have you seen "The Cove?"

For the letter, there's a pre-written thing or you can write your own. Here's what I wrote (you could use it too if you want):

A trainer at SeaWorld was recently killed, and this is a terrible thing. It is sad when anything dies, particularly when it is without legitimate cause, and this was a person, no doubt with a family and a livelihood.

There is a moral problem with SeaWorld. First, people have been killed and that is wrong. And more frequently, animals, the whales and dolphins that you show off to visitors, suffer a great deal just by being in captivity. Their tanks are too small for these giant ocean creatures. In the wild, they can travel a hundred miles a day, dive deep and breach high. There simply is not enough room for them in pools.

This causes them great stress. Dolphins are highly sensitive to sound, and in small pools their sonic cries can bounce back and drive them crazy. They are captured by fisherman banging on poles, directing them by a sheer wall of sound. Terrified, the dolphins will swim where the fisherman want in a desperate attempt to get away from the noise.

Trainers must know about dolphins' and whales' problems with the noise of their pens and the crowded stadiums. Do they realize that dolphins and whales could be just as intelligent as humans? Do they realize how much we should be respecting these creatures? Have they seen "The Cove," the documentary that contains footage of dolphins being slaughtered completely inhumanely, after the trainers who contributed to this massacre by buying dolphins left?

Keeping these animals in captivity is only going to continue the cycle of pain and stress, and retain the likelihood that another trainer will die.

SeaWorld is an extremely lucrative business. I don't expect you to throw it away for the sake of the arguments I have made. That's not how people work. You're making money, and you're not going to want to accept that that's wrong - or even if you do, you'll want to damp down the guilt and keep going. That's just how us humans are.

But what you're doing is wrong. I hope you'll consider that. PETA is suggesting you switch to animatronics and virtual reality. We are entering the digital age - look at the success of Avatar. Try to find some way to end the suffering of these animals and the risk of the trainers. Try to start an alternative source of revenue. Just think about it - please.

And as I said before, keeping these animals in captivity is just going to keep trainers in danger. Working with highly intelligent, very strong animals who are frequently stressed and unhappy with their environment is constantly flirting with danger.

"The Cove" is working to raise awareness in the general public about the problems of keeping dolphins and whales in captivity. Maybe someday people are going to decide to end these innocent creatures' torment. Maybe you should just try to be prepared for that.

I once wanted to work at SeaWorld, when I was much younger and didn't understand how these animals lived. I wanted to spend time with such beautiful creatures, teach them tricks and swim around among them. That dream is gone now, because it is no longer in my sphere of acceptable morality. And why should I teach them tricks when I could be learning from them? If we love these animals, we need to let them live in the way that is best for them.

Please take what I have said to heart, or at least file it away in your memory banks, and know that the animals you keep to amuse people should be free. They should be out swimming in the waves, enjoying the space, others of their kind, and the simple pleasure of being alive and able to choose what one does next. That's why people like the ideal of America - because we're free.

Thank you for your time, and your memory.

I think it's a pretty good letter. I'm also trying to help out the seals in Canada. Letter links:

link ... on&id=2929

or this one:

link ... on&id=4383

Hope you don't think I'm crazy!
tongue
I don't think you're crazy at all! I completly agree with you 110%. If people are SO desperate to see these animals, then travel to THEIR natural habitat and see them the way GOD created them. They're are amazing animals. I know a lot of people go to Discovery Cove, which is located next to Sea World, so they can swim with the dolphins. Go on a cruise to the Bahamas...once you're there, you can swim with the dolphins in the actual OCEAN, lol. I think we as human beings need to take a stand and not go to Sea World, or any zoo for that matter and force these places to shut down and close their doors. Those animals in the zoos are treated basically the same way, they are forced to live in tight quarters with fake trees and rocks! I've always been an animal lover, but I am even more so now that I have my little chihuahua. People just don't realize that animals have feelings too. They feel emotions...maybe not to the same extreme as we do, but they still love, get mad and even hurt. I think I should join PETA :D
Glad you don't think I'm nuts. I guess I shouldn't add that concession - it's just that I kind of randomly posted a letter I poured some of my soul into and a bunch of links, it seemed abrupt. "The Cove" won best documentary at the Oscars, so I'm happy they got the publicity. I just got another link to sign a petition to stop the sale of dolpin meat in Japan:

link

And here's what I wrote for that:

Please stop the cruel slaughter of dolphins and the sale of their meat. Dolphins are highly intelligent and wonderful creatures who do not deserve to be tormented and killed. Not only for the sake of the dolphins, but the people who consume their meat are ingesting a dangerous amount of mercury. Please help both people and dolphins by stopping the sale of dolphin meat - which most Japanese citizens do not seem to support.

I'm a member of PETA and it's a good site if you want to send protest letters. I've had people feel that PETA's a bit forceful and I don't fully agree with everything PETA, but I feel I'm doing more good than harm by sending letters to try to change people's minds - so I would encourage you to join. Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? I'm vegan because I'm against the inherent cruelty of factory farming.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
smile
I actually joined PETA yesterday :) I did some reading on their site, and like you, I don't completely agree with everything they do, but I am fully against cruelty and injustice to animals. I'm not a vegetarian, but after watching that video on their site about how badly chickens are treated, I'm looking into it. And when I really think about it, I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, so it won't be hard to change and adjust. Oh, and I signed the dolphin petition :)
heart
Congratulations on joining PETA! I greatly encourage you to be vegetarian - and of course I also encourage you to go vegan, since the animals still suffer for milk and eggs. But being vegetarian is a great step. There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan recipes online, and there's usually a small area in most grocery stores where you can get vegetarian and vegan meat supplements and tofu and such. I'd be happy to share with you some thoughts and recipes if you like.

And thanks for signing the dolphin petition!
Yeah, if you could send me some recipes that would be great :) I never tried tofu, but I've always heard it was nasty...I hope that isn't true!
Okay, so I was writing a reply but the page vanished... Here's essentially what I said:

I feel like tofu is one of those foods that get short-changed, like asparagus when you're seven. It's already been branded as "weird" so no one's willing to give it a chance. Obviously, everyone's tastebuds are different, but I think tofu is fine. It's more what you season it with than the taste of the tofu itself. I'm used to having it breaded and fried a stir-fry my dad makes and it's delicious. I have tried frying it without the breading and with different seasoning and it admittedly was not as good. But I didn't throw up or anything!

Food tips for today:

Spaghetti is an easy meal to make vegan/vegetarian. Just leave the meat and/or cheese out of the sauce and if you want to add in some SmartGround that's nice, too. Actually, I've been recently considering adding chopped boiled carrots but haven't got around to it. Heck, you could chop up a SmartDog or two and add that if you wanted. Use plenty of garlic! And - hmm... I'm not sure how common homemade garlic bread is, so I guess I'll say how to make it even though you may already know how - garlic bread is easily made by mixing crushed garlic with olive oil, brushing it on bread, and baking it in the oven until brown. Say, 350 degrees.

Salads are always obvious, except I don't like them - but I hope you do! At least I like raw spinach.

As far as the tofu I was talking about goes, I always get the extra firm, not that runny stuff. Haven't tried that yet...

But I just recently tried my NaSoya mayonnaise! It's great!! Tastes just like the real thing, yum!

I'll have to get that stir-fry recipe from my dad and post it. I can also write up a recipe for a simple vegetable pie that I love if you like.

And would you also like to help seals as well as dolphins? You can send a letter of protest with these links (one's PETA):

link

link

The second link mentions being Canadian, so you might want to edit that if you're not. But you can still send the letter.

And then you can sign the facebook petition if you're on there:

link
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
smile
Ok, I'll give tofu a chance, lol. My taste buds have changed since I've grown up, so I might like it. I made spaghetti last night for the first time with meat...it wasn't bad. I made a salad too...thankfully, I love salad, so thats good. I've done some recipe searching online and found a few things to try. Thanks for your help :)
বছরখানেক আগে 203177 said…
smile
i heard about that. but i will not stop going to seaworld just because of that. i know they should not keep whales in captivity but i'm not aganist the park. its not the parks fault. maybe the whale just had a bad day. i went to the one in california and it was alot of fun. But i do agree that whales should be released in the wild thats there natural habitat anyway. some whales are born in captivity. i heard that if they release the whale they say that it won't survive. i guess thats why they won't release it.
বছরখানেক আগে HannahShamu said…
lamjoining stop making them so much because im tring to read all but im skipping yours so that means i cant read the replys
বছরখানেক আগে narniahp14 said…
sorry people..but PETA are (or is...hate english class) liars and they care for money...i doubt they ever help one animal. I know captivity is wrong but Sea World animals are NOT tortured or forgotten. And PETA wants people to get that lie into their minds....Of course I believe it is wrong to still have Lolita at the Miami park because her tank is a dolphin pool, not an orca one...whatever...I support SeaWorld and RIP Dawn, Taima and calf and Kalina
meh
^ Well, I've been to Sea World numerous times and have seen with my own eyes the tanks that the Orca's live in when they aren't in the big pool putting on a show. They barely have room to swim around. So dont tell me that isn't cruel...being in a small tank compared to being in the ocean...whatever...it's cruel.