Sam and Mercedes Samcedes Rant

Kurenai24 posted on Jan 09, 2012 at 06:54PM
This is a place where you can 'explode', comment or make suggestions about the Samcedes/Glee storyline or whatever you think is wrong with the show right now.

Sam and Mercedes 8 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে reid4infinity said…
heart
I LOVE THEM 2 GETHER!!!! SO WONDERFUL!!! THEY SHOULD GET MARRIED.
বছরখানেক আগে 60abbye said…
heart
Shane needs to go away.
I had a fangirl attack (flailing and squealing included) when Mercedes saw Sam instead of Shane when she sang The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. <3 I am addicted to Summer Nights. I have an unhealthy obsession with it.

SAMCEDES FOREVER <3
বছরখানেক আগে ducky8abug4u said…
heart
They're so adorable! I wanna hug 'em! Samcedes forever, dudes! They're my new OTP!
বছরখানেক আগে ducky8abug4u said…
hmmm
My heart breaks for Amber Riley/Mercedes!

Some of the most derogatory comments are saved for Amber Riley/Mercedes. These comments range from her singing ability to her weight, as well as other issues that have been rudely critiqued. As the only chocolate complexioned, heavy-set female character on Glee, I've read negative detractors that were created to dismiss her talent, her casting chemistry, and her acting ability; and in all honesty, Ryan Murphy and co. are in part to blame for how she's been stereotypically viewed but I digress.

What bothers me are the constant barrage of dismissive, condescending comments. For example, in Amber Riley and Chord Overstreet 'Summer Nights' duet, some people thought her voice wasn't quite right for the part. Based on Quinn's aesthetic appearance and limited vocal range, some would've preferred Dianne Argon in Amber's place. I, of course, thought that was nonesense. In the original musical, Olivia Newton-John had to tone-down her vocal range to accommodate Travolta's, who quite frankly could not sing to save his life. So to argue that Dianne Argon's voice would be much more fitting for the role, based on how Olivia originally sang it, is pure hogwash. Amber Riley's duet with Overstreet was beautifully sung and I personally think it paid homage to a much beloved musical.

'Dreamgirls' was another musical in which Glee paid homage to and in which Amber Riley's performance was praise-worthy. Amber Riley played one of the strongest antagonist Glee has ever introduced, yet, she recieved little praise. Her character, Mercedes, unapologetically competed for the role of Maria in 'West Side Story.' However, because she embodied certain physical traits, the character was dismissed as being the stereotypical diva. For many viewers, young and old alike, it was perfectly acceptable for the demure-looking, Mary Tyler Moorish character to put on her Diva-hat and ruthlessly pursue Finn or a solo spot in New Directions but absolutely obscene for Mercedes to do the same. That kind of double-standard way of thinking, whereby its acceptable for one character to behave outlandishly but entirely unforgivable in others seems to be the standard-fare for most Gleek viewers (most especially when you consider that the sympathetic lime-light was re-directed towards their star-player, Rachel, rather than the much neglected Mercedes). In either case, the actress' performance was top-notch in 'Asian F' and her rendition of 'Spotlight' was incredibly powerful. If nothing else, she deserved to be praised for that role.

Yet, despite it all, the constant 'digs' just kept coming. It first began with her not being as musically talented as Lea Michele (Rachel), then it evolved into a competition between fans of Naya Rivera (Santana) and Mercedes. With every turn, there seems to be some sort of ongoing dialogue, reinforcing people's dismissive attitudes towards this actress and the contributions she's made to the show and I truly loathe it. Amber Riley is a competent actress and a talented singer. With the little they have given her to work with, she has done everything within her power to give all that she's got and she deserves to be recognized, admired and praised without being compared, dismissed or devalued in favor of another performer.

She deserves to be recognized on her own merits and that is THAT!
last edited বছরখানেক আগে
বছরখানেক আগে Kurenai24 said…
You'll quickly learn that this fandom won't ever and will never acknowledge Mercedes/Amber and her contributions/talent etc.

As a Mercedes/Samcedes fan it's a hard knock life.
বছরখানেক আগে Princess976 said…
Everything you said is true. I quickly learned that the Glee fandom is very biased in their view of Amber/Mercedes. I have come to realize that it is to much to expect them acknowledge her contributions to the show through their warped vision of the world at large.
বছরখানেক আগে Kurenai24 said…
It's very sad tbqh.
বছরখানেক আগে famfan said…
heart
Wow, very passionate statement ducky. You know I only started watching Glee for Mercedes and will mostly stop watching it when she is gone. I have noticed the same things you have, like when she sings lead and rips the song apart, this mindless fandom drones on about whoever the hell is sing in the background or dancing. But like her cover of Jill Scott's Hate on me Hater says, she could give them the moon and it wouldn't matter. She is beautiful and hella talented. Doing something most of them will only ever dream of. This story of them hating isn't new. I see it in almost any fandom where their is a POC, hell Santana better thank her ass Mercedes is on this show if she wasn't they would be ripping her a part. In the end I just fan her, to hell with the haters, there mostly short sighted young girls, who wouldn't know a truly talented person if they hit them in the face.
last edited বছরখানেক আগে