আগ্‌লি বেটি Eric Mabius: No To Daniel-Betty Pairing on Ugly Betty

waichingliu81 posted on Mar 27, 2009 at 02:44AM
by Tom on March 26th, 2009

Eric Mabius just ain’t feelin’ the Detty. In an AP report, he was asked about a possible scenario on Ugly Betty where Daniel Meade and Betty Suarez end up together.

That would be the equivalent of us jumping the shark," he says. He mentions that the various incarnations of the show throughout the world have the two becoming a pair, and it usually means the end of the show.

"In all the other series … they get married and the show ends! I’m not too excited about that idea!,” says Mabius.

Now, I’ll agree to a point. Daniel and Betty, IMHO, should NOT become a pair in any episode but the series finale. Were it to happen, such an event would be the climax of a show we must assume has already had its fate decided by the network. Maybe at the end of season 4, or if there’s some dramatic ratings turnaround, the end of season 5 or 6.

I see what Mabius is saying, of course. When he sees a Daniel/Betty kiss in the script, he’ll know the writing is on the wall for the show. Fair enough. Neither Mabius, nor us fans, want the end to come anytime soon.

I think the bigger jumping-the-shark moment will be if they ever have one of those scenes where Betty gets made over and emerges looking like America Ferrera at the Emmys. If they do this, and then whichever male she’s after falls in love with her as a result, I’ll shoot my TV. The whole premise of the show all these years will have been ruined.

No, her prince must fall for her as she is, IMHO. OK, the braces can go, because the consensus is that it’s so unrealistic for her to still have them, it’s a distraction.

Whomever Betty ends up with, my fantasy of the final scene involves either a montage or actual musical number with Betty and crew dancing down the street to Jimmy Soul’s If You Wanna Be Happy. What a scene that would be!

link

আগ্‌লি বেটি 6 উত্তর

Click here to write a response...
বছরখানেক আগে BeSafe said…
big smile
LOL once again I enjoyed reading Tom, as his opinion generally parallels my own...in fact the only thing we differ on is when Detty should occur, I think it would be much better if we got at least a couple of episodes with Detty on it, just because I feel like if it happened on the finale than they would leave this huge 'fairy tale' ending you know...the handsome prince falls in love with teh 'ugly' duckling and they live happily ever after kind of thing, which I don't exactly feel like seeing, because that doesn't ring true for these characters. Daniel is, bless his adorable heart, a screwup, he has perfected the artform, so of course we know in the course of their relationship he is going to do something stupid and thoughtless and hurt Betty, while I don't really want to see this, I want to see what he does to make up for it! I just feel like them finally confessing their love in the series finale would be a let-down, for me at least, and for these characters I have grown to love. It would be a better Season Finale if they were arguing and say randomly kissed and were both like "WTF?" you know, it rings more true, especially for Daniel, because 'when' these two get together I think there will be some resistance on both of their parts, trying to resist what they are feeling, and that is something that should be explored.

Also on a kind of side note, that quote from Eric Mabius is actually from quite a while ago, I saw that interview and he said word for word that exact thing, I could be wrong and he may sound like a broken record, but I just think they are recycling interviews...plus he never said NO to Detty in fact he does want it to happen, he just doesn't want it to happen too soon, I'll stop now because I feel I'm beginnning to ramble...
বছরখানেক আগে waichingliu81 said…
it's interesting you say that because i for one, when detty happens, i want those two to fall in love in the series finale and for betty to get her makeover. i do understand where tom and eric are coming from, and if betty and daniel get together too soon then the show will probably jump the shark. but i agree with you besafe- it would be nice to see some detty scenes.

as for the interview, yeah eric did say something completely different because he was in favour of betty and daniel coming together. though i just hope that as in the original columbian version betty la fea where betty and daniel do fall in love, i think with due respect to the original show, silvio horta and the writers ought to stick with the original storyline, because by not doing so, would mean this show goes entirely against everything it originally was supposed to be from the beginning. don't want to sound mean in any way and i am not but the show did not set itself up for betty and henry, or gio, matt, jesse or any of the other guys she has dated, but for betty and daniel.
smile
perfectprincess- i still think this version is sticking to that original concept- it's just that for some reason eric disagrees with it.
বছরখানেক আগে BeSafe said…
I think a lot of people are misreading what Eric is saying as well, I think people are reading this quote "In all the other series … they get married and the show ends! I’m not too excited about that idea!,” says Mabius, and taking it to mean he is NOT excited about the prospect of Detty, which personally I don't really see that in this quote. I see him saying he isn't excited about them getting married and the show ENDING. So what I take away from this quote is that he wants the show to go on for as long as possible and he believes that people like the build up to the relationship more than the actual relationship...which if you think about it is true. For example I would be okay with it if they built up the Detty ending for a season or so, like you start to see more signs that it is going in that direction and then in the finale they confess their love, I would be okay with that approach as well. But personally I don't think they are diverting from that original storyline of the show at all, I think they just want the show to last longer than its predicessors and therefore are going to wait longer to get Daniel/Betty together.

In various other interviews Eric Mabius has stated that he indeed DOES want it to be a Detty ending, he just wants them to wait until they know it is the last season of the show because he thinks once they make it Detty the show will have nowhere else to go with it...if that makes any sense.
বছরখানেক আগে freckles08 said…
They spoke about this on the Podcast. I think Eric just doesn't want the show to end and i guess if Detty does happen then there won't be that much left :( I want the show to be on for loads more years and Becki newton says she wants to see a 95 year old Amanda answerin the phone. lol

I also agree the braces have to come off soon i mean people don't usually have them for more then 3 years lol This won't mean She will all off a sudden be beautiful because she will still have the eye brows and the hair. Lol Also her dress sense as well.
the braces HAVE to come off, but that doesn't mean she should become beautiful straightaway. betty should continue looking the way she is, although this season her wardrobe has improved a long way since season 1.

though i don't think it is question of betty and daniel not being compatible with one another because like besafe and freckles08, i still think they'll be a great couple when they hook up. rather that if betty and daniel do get together too soon, then the show would lose some of its edge, and we have seen in plenty of shows where as soon as two people fall in love, the show jumps the shark and often it is cancelled.

i would like ugly betty to run for like 2 or 3 seasons after this one, and hopefully in the end we will see a detty ending from the series finale. and so for detty to take place some time next season, for the show's point of view, personally i don't think it is a good idea, as i have a feeling the show might not be the same as, or as interesting as it was before betty and daniel hooked up.